1) cows are capable of average daily milk production over a 210 day lactation of 25 pounds (3 gallons) of 4% butter fat milk or better, when fed for household milk production.
2) cows produce male offspring that will consistently finish to 500 lb carcass, at 60-65% cutout of choice or better beef in 18 to 19 months with a 60 day, light, finish ration.
1) consistently produce offspring that meet conformational quality as set forth by the Dexter Classification - scoring 85 (Good Plus) or better.
2) consistently produce offspring that are easily trained and accept the milk cow role.
3) offspring produced consistently present a balanced and pleasing appearance indicative of their dual-purpose function.
SMD has identified specific trait maintenance and trait improvement areas to further our breeding program towards these outcomes: